Monday 25 May 2015

Cardiff: The Experience of Doctor Who and Five Guys

April 4-6
      I arrived in Cardiff by mid Saturday afternoon and made my way over the river towards my hostel, which was more like a large bed and breakfast rather than a shabby dorm style hostel. After getting comfortable and resting in my room, I decided to go explore the main part of the city and get some dinner. Walking through the city center was like walking through an outdoor mall, all that lined the streets were shops and restaurants, oh and a huge library at the end of the main strip. Many shops had already closed for the night, while the restaurants and pubs started to fill up. As my stomach continued to rumble, I stumbled upon a Five Guys Restaurant and knew that was where I was going to eat.  I stepped inside and it was like I stepped into America. Everything was exactly the same; the buckets of peanuts, fries in a cup, magazines on the wall, and even a Coca-Cola freestyle machine. I got myself a burger, fries and multiple refills of vanilla coke and I was a content girl. I was soon over stuffed and ready to go back to the hostel for a long shower and some sleep. Before I could go to sleep peacefully, I had to witness a couple snuggling on a twin sized bunk. Ew!
Cardiff center

The outside of the castle 

The river outside of my hostel

The hostel had a kitty that I adored!

     The next morning was Easter Sunday, but instead of finding a basket at the foot of my bed, I had tickets to go to the Doctor Who Experience! I quickly put on my Doctor Who dress and made my way to the nearest Catholic Church for Easter mass, which was still quite the hike, but it was worth it. I felt very welcomed into the church, and the service was very lively. After celebrating the risen Lord, I walked a few miles to the Doctor Who Experience. I geeked out so hard when seeing all the costumes and props from the show, and during the adventure we went on to save the universe. I was probably the most excited person there, as I flew the TARDIS, defeated a dalek and saved the day. After going through the experience, I was taken on a walking tour of Cardiff Bay, which showed you all the filming locations of Doctor Who from various episodes. After one of the most exciting, geekiest afternoons of my life I went back to my hostel, ate a pizza and facetimed my family as they celebrated Easter at home. It was great seeing all of them again, and I realized that I missed celebrating the holiday at home, because it had been two years since I was home for Easter.

Where I prayed


Cardiff Bay


The Crown Jewel!

Exterminate!
K-9 found his mistress!

Just chilling in 10's TARDIS!

I can't remember why I included this picture...

My favorite Doctor's costume!
I found my TARDIS!


     I awoke early the next morning, mainly because the breakfast of French pastries, fruit salad and cereals was heavenly, checked out of my hostel and went for a walk to see the last of the city. The sun was shining bright so I decided to go walk through a huge park outside the city and bordering the castle. It seemed like everyone else had the same idea, there was plenty of dogs playing fetch, running athletes and scootering kids. The warm air and sun on my face was exactly what I needed, as I collected my thoughts. After walking a few miles I went back out into the city center, grabbed some lunch and postcards then made my way to the bus stop to go back to London, where I was meeting up with some friends from Saint Mary’s. 


Oh so majestic Wales!

Cardiff Castle

Seagull!!!
 Flower pics because I can't resit photographing a flower.




No comments:

Post a Comment