Thursday 4 June 2015

Eating, Drinking and Merriment in Dublin

May 18-26
     We returned from Paris to a week of exams and endless hours of studying, so to break up the time spent in the library or staring at my laptop Kathleen and I went into Dublin several times. The first time was Monday after we completed our first exam. I hadn't been to the Guinness Storehouse, a must for every Ireland tourist, so Kathleen dragged me to St. James' Gate Brewery. We walked into the storehouse just as the storm clouds rolled in and the wind picked up around us. Our Guinness experience began with getting to know the ingredients and how they're brewed together to create the famous black stout. We made our way through the seven stories of Guinness propaganda before getting to pour our own perfect pint at the Guinness Academy. After learning the six steps of pouring the Guinness, I poured my own pint perfectly. Without spilling, I had graduated the Guinness Academy with honors, one of my greatest achievements. As my reward we went up to the 360 Gravity Bar to drink the pint. Downing the delicious black stout in less than half an hour   We really got to enjoy the views of the city beneath us and even saw a rainbow. Leaving the storehouse filled with Guinness we then stopped for dinner at Nandos before heading back to the apartment.
How they transport the black stout

Even Kathleen is Irish!

Tower of mini pints

Pouring expertise 

Such concentration

Getting ready to drink

Yum!

 We graduated top of our class!

She loves the Guinness


Guinness is at the end of a rainbow



     On Thursday night after Kathleen finished her last final we celebrated with dinner in the Temple Bar district with a pint of Guinness and some traditional Guinness stew. We got so full with the stout we couldn't finish the delicious stew. The very next day we went back into Dublin for lunch because we simply cannot get enough of the Irish capital. We ate at a delightful cafe. I had a beef cottage pie with a side of the best tasting mashed potatoes I've ever eaten. I would return to the cafe and just order the mashed potatoes if I could. From there we walked a couple of miles to go to Kilmainham Jail, a historic political jail, but by the time we got across the city to the gates it was sold out for the day. Disappointed that we made the long trek over there, we went into the nearby museum of modern art. From there I learned that hanging up plastic bags and cat's cradle string can be considered art. We lost interest in the art quickly and chose to make a stop at Penney's before heading back.
And so does Kathleen

Celebratory Guinness

Those mashed potatoes!!

      Kathleen left on Sunday to go explore London on her own, while I stayed in Ireland to prepare for my last two final exams that week. On Tuesday to reward myself for completing my most difficult exam in Irish political geography, I went into Dublin on my own to discover the National Museum of Decorative Arts and History. While it was rich in Irish military history being that it was situated in the former Collins Barracks, it was deserted of visitors. I went through three exhibits before seeing another guest; even the workers seemed surprised that I was in the museum. I attempted to navigate the many floors of the museum, but with nearly every turn I ran into a mannequin dressed as a solider holding a gun to my face. Not the way you want to experience a museum, especially when you're alone in the exhibit. After seeing most of the museum, I left and crossed over the River Liffey with the sun beaming on my face. I was on the hunt for the Cake Cafe, and when I found it. I swear I took a bite out of heaven. The chocolate was rich as it melted in my mouth and complemented my two pots of tea perfectly. After my solo tea date, I headed back to Maynooth to try to study for my last final on Thursday.
Collins Barracks

I turned the corner and I'm staring down the barrel of his gun

I could totally work this soldier hat

I thought he was real at first

Tea and cake

No comments:

Post a Comment