Monday 23 February 2015

Getting a Hang of this Irish School Thing

As I entered my second week of school, I got a better feel and understanding of my classes. Most of my classes are history centered and cover most of Irish history, from Celtic history in the Middle Ages to Early Modern Ireland after the Middle Ages and then Ireland since 1800. Can you tell I am a history major? When I am not in a history class, I am either in Conversion, Sin and Virtue, a class filled only with Saint Mary’s girls and seminarians, Political Geography, where I have learned an extensive amount of the Irish political system and how the Irish see American politics, or at my one credit course for just Saint Mary’s girls. Although I am learning an abundance of information from the Irish perspective, the classes are lecture based and allow for no class discussion, unless there is an additional tutorial session for that class and I miss being able to contribute my ideas in class. My classes are squished into Monday through Wednesday and I am thankful for my four day weekends. Amidst this second week of class, were some adventures that accompany living independently.
            First off, Monday was registration day, meaning that I had to solidify my course pickings by an office worker inputting my information and classes into the computer program. Now I am an official student at the National University of Ireland at Maynooth! Besides going to class, registration was probably the highlight of my day. Tuesday rolled around and began with an early mandatory tutorial session on Early Modern Ireland and Great Britain with Kathleen, where we examined a document on religion and I didn’t learn anything new except that my grad school tutor thinks very highly of his history knowledge. I did learn in Political Geography that day that the U.S. presidential election is like the “X Factor” according to my Irish professor. To top my Tuesday night off it was my turn to cook dinner, so I made some delicious pork chops with baked potatoes for my friends. Wednesday not only held more classes, but also an additional tutorial for Celtic History, where these older women students dominated the session with obscure questions that distracted from the point of tutorials. As a celebration of finishing another week of class, Kathleen and I ventured to Tesco, Ireland’s version of Walmart, to find some American sounding snacks that we have not been able to find at Aldi. I considered our trip somewhat successful due to the finding of Hershey’s cookies and crème bars, Ritz crackers and Frosted Flakes, but sadly no equivalent to Goldfish. I am still outraged that Ireland does not know the beauty that is Goldfish; I mean they are the snack that smiles back!

Pork Chops and baked potato dinner. YUM

I love eating celery for lunch, especially with my American peanut butter!


            With Thursday being the start of my weekend, I slept in and after resting throughout most of the day, we decided to go out to The Roost, one of the local pubs, for some dancing and listening to the live band that night. I had a pretty good time, dancing and singing, and will definitely be returning on future Thursdays. By Friday, Kathleen and I wanted a treat for surviving another week in Ireland, so we decided to walk a mile to McDonald’s for lunch. We were desperately craving Coke and something that tasted like home. Best decision for lunch I have ever made. The coke and fries were heavenly and the atmosphere of the restaurant was a lot friendlier than at most fast food chains back home. The week went by with me learning a lot about Irish schooling and adult living, and I am getting on pretty well. 
We color coordinate at the club 

Selfie at the pub?

Freaking good American food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment