Monday 2 February 2015

Out on the Wiley Windy Ireland

Be sure to check out the photo video at the end of this post!
     
          The vibration from my phone’s alarm came all too quickly on Tuesday morning. Eight hours of sleep was definitely not enough for my aching, jetlagged body, yet I managed to drag myself out of bed at 8 a.m. in order to go on our first trip of the year. The Saint Mary’s Ireland program has coordinated multiple trips for their students to take around Ireland during the semester so we can get the most of the study abroad experience. This one however just happened to fall on the day after we arrived in the country and were not recovered from the trip overseas. Haphazardly stumbling around my room and digging through half-emptied suitcases, I was surprisingly able to get myself ready in time to catch the bus. The first stop was the Hill of Tara.
            Walking down the stairs of the bus, and then onto the first hill at the site was a rude awakening to just how cold the Irish wind can be to a girl who just came from a Texas winter of 50 degrees. Chilled to the bone, and fighting the rolling winds I made my way with the group of girls across multiple small hills to the see the Mound of Hostages and the Stone of Destiny. However, due to the howling wind and my slow walking pace I barely heard our tour guide’s stories about the history and legends surrounding the various sites on the Hill of Tara. I did get to make a wish on the Stone of Destiny and the Fairy Tree though. The rest of the Hill of Tara is a blur lost in the frigid gusts of wind.

Just being a super ginger on the Hill of Tara

            Once I regained my footing on the level ground and clambered back onto the bus, we were off to the Hill of Slane. All I could do once we got off at our next destination was look at the grass and the hills in the distance. The grass was lusciously soft, thick and the greenest green I have ever seen. Crayola doesn’t even get close to making an Ireland green crayon.  I am pretty sure that I could discuss the grass for a very long time… Anyways, beyond the green grass lay castle ruins that we climbed and explored. There was a tall tower ruin that I climbed up on the thinnest stone spiral stairwell, where I am so thankful that I did not misstep. Clambering up that tower made me realize that if I lived in this castle and it was under attack I would probably be killed because I can go up or down those steep stairs fast enough. The air soon turned misty as I made my way down the hill and onto the bus.

My flatmate Kathleen and I. Aren't we cute?

Crayola has nothing on this green grass

Relaxing on these ruins

            Mellifont Abbey was next, and had some medieval history that my mind cannot recall because I was fascinated with what was left of the stone structure. I was allowed to explore all of the crevasse and stones left at the site, before we departed for Monasterboice. In County Louth, lies a round tower, and Muiredach’s cross, all a part of Monasterboice. Walking around gravestones, and then seeing these high crosses ornate with depictions of the bible was breathtaking, especially since they date back to tenth century. Even through the bitter wind, the high cross of Ireland is a truly a work of art.

In front of Ireland's many round towers

            After a delicious burger, chips (fries) and a cheesecake topped with fruit at a restaurant where they played a song that I adore, we made our way to Newgrange. Soaking up all I could from the museum exhibit on the history of Newgrange, I educated myself on this world heritage site so I could be well informed when we actually went up to the site. My love for history and museums resulted in me staying quite a long time in the exhibit and almost missing the bus that would take us up to the burial mounds. Upon arriving at the passage grave of Newgrange, I was astounded. The tomb stretches over 280 feet and is made up with megaliths, completely built over 5,000 years ago. I felt as if I had stepped back in time as soon as I was allowed to go insode the passage tomb, ducking and squeezing slightly to avoid bumping my head on the large stones. Completely immersed within the legend of Newgrange, I was blown away by the intact stone carvings and even the graffiti from the 1800s.

At Newgrange

            Spending an entire day visiting these historical sites deserved a night out at the pub, The Roost. Being the indecisive person that I am, plus the fact that my stomach hadn’t fully adjusted to being in Ireland I chose not to buy a drink. Despite my lack in courageousness to try some legal beer, I still enjoyed the new surroundings of the pub life in Ireland. The dim room was very relaxing and put my anxious nerves about the newness at ease. Finally after our table being overcharged for our order, but paying for it anyway out of fear of confrontation, we said goodnight to the pub and found our way back to the apartments for a long overdue sleep. 

A compilation of most of my pictures from January 27



No comments:

Post a Comment