Thursday 5 February 2015

Jocelyn at Slightly Higher Altitudes

After two days of orientation, where I felt just like a freshman again, sitting in large lecture halls with other international students and listening to directors explain the nitty gritty of the registration process and campus tours, we finally made it to the weekend. Saturday held a big adventure for us: the Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough. Waking up early once again, I roused myself for the long day ahead, putting on multiple layers of clothing because I knew the mountains would have fierce winds nipping at my skin. Kathleen and I choose to take the van instead of the bus up to the mountains, and stayed awake the entire car ride while the rest of the Saint Mary’s girls dozed off. We passed the time with comments about the beauty of the mountains and valleys, because they possessed an unrealistic splendor under the morning sun.  We then veered off the winding narrow mountain road, and arrived at Glendalough.

 The site of Glendalough, with round tower and stone church.

            Glendalough is a site in the heart of Wicklow Mountains, where in the sixth century Saint Kevin came and prayed in recluse. He attracted many followers and eventually churches were erected leading to its becoming a monastery then a holy site for hundreds of years to come. The Saint Mary’s girls strode through the cemetery, stone churches of the medieval period and around one of the most perfect round towers. Through the crisp air I could sense the importance of this famous place, and imagined the same site hundreds of years ago when it was bustling with ecclesiastic life and prayer.

Just a perfect round tower

Saint Kevin's cross. The legend is that if your hands touch while hugging the cross you will find a husband. My hands did NOT touch. Oh well, no husband for me.

            Once we had all gone through the main sites we were turned lose to explore the lakes and mountain trails in the area. The “squad”, which includes Kathleen, Bridget, Kat and I set off on the path to take pictures and appreciate the raw beauty of the Irish landscape. The lower lake was our first stop for pictures, and then I was accidentally left behind. In order to catch up I had to book it through the trail.  My asthmatic lungs were not appreciative of my fast walking mixed with the bitter cold and the hilly path, but I made it back to them. Reunited with the group, we soon came upon the upper lake, which was even more magnificent than the lower lake. It was situated between two mountains, and as we got near the shore the wind blew in huge gusts, whipping my hat off my head and across the grass. That brutal wind was worth the view though.

Me in front of some mountains, quite casual.

It was super windy by the upper lake, my hat blew off!

            Once pictures were taken on the shore of the upper lake, most of my fellow Belles returned to the car park to await the bus; however Kathleen and I decided it was exploration time. Spotting a bench on the opposite bank of the lake, we decided to find it. We trekked through trees and rocks that lined the water’s edge and up to the bench, not realizing that there was a clear path, complete with stairs that led to that spot. Oh well, we had an adventure, and then returned to the car park to wait with the other girls.

Where's Kathleen? Spot my flatmate!

I totally own this place. 

            Back on the bus with stomachs rumbling we set off to Powerscourt for lunch. I swear that Powerscourt, which includes hotel, resort, magnificent gardens and a waterfall, in some way belongs to my family. I will have to do some genealogical research. Anyways this place was stunning, lunch was in a grand cafĂ© on site that included a main course, 3 side salads, dessert and hot tea. Perfection, if I do say so myself. With a stomach full of Spanish chicken, salad, carrot cake and tea I was ready to tackle the Powerscourt gardens. These gardens were grand, spreading out over a large area, and divided by different styles of gardening, including Italian, and Japanese. We ambled through the hilly gardens, taking in all its charm even though it was late winter. It was exquisite, and I cannot even imagine its beauty when in full bloom. After hiking through the gardens and taking pictures, we made our way back to the reception lobby to purchase souvenirs. Postcards in hand, and weighed down with exhaustion we clambered back into the busses and drove back to campus, where I proceeded to take a two and a half hour nap. Anything that happened after our return home was lost in a drowsy blur. 

These are all of my gardens!

Group picture! Kat, Bridget, Kathleen and I! We cute!

My view from the top of the tower. I felt like Rapunzel! When will my life begin?

Also be sure to check out my video on YouTube!







No comments:

Post a Comment